Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What are the "small groups" about?

Another element of the Spirituality for the Vineyard program is the one year participation in a small group devoted to discerning who you are and what God may have in store for you. This is just a pilot this year, and just for majors/minors interested in lay ecclesial ministry.


We asked Laurie Watson, the convener, to introduce herself:


Hello to those considering a small group experience this year as part of the Vineyard Experience! My name is Laurie Watson, and I am anticipating all of us growing in insights and blessings as I facilitate one of the groups this year. Here’s a little information about me ….

I completed my undergraduate degree in psychology and social work at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa, in 1976. I obtained my youth ministry certificate from the Center of Ministry Development in 2000. In 2003 I completed a master’s degree in Pastoral Studies from Loyola University in New Orleans. The following year I completed a spiritual direction internship.

My work experiences include being a social worker on the “front lines” for several years, followed by many years of work with adults with developmental disabilities. I especially enjoyed working with folks with autism. Most recently I served as pastoral associate for the Cathedral here in Winona from 2006-2010. This summer I became a full time live-in volunteer at the Winona Catholic Worker.

I am mother of two and grandma to four beautiful grandchildren.

My expectations for the small group experience … first and foremost, a genuine desire to explore one’s unique calling in life … an openness to deep and honest sharing…a commitment to intentional prayer and reflection outside monthly meeting times…possibly some minimal journaling. We’ll gather informally each month around a meal or coffee. The group participants will determine to a large extent the direction the group will take this year. Expect to leave each month with points to ponder as you discern the next step in your vocational journey.


Come learn more about this option at the September 9th gathering!