Monday, February 20, 2012

Lent is coming up...interested in an online retreat? Or different things from which to "fast"?

Creighton University has a ton of resources for Lenten devotionals, audio retreats, etc. If Lent has crept up on you, look at this page for inspiration and ideas.

Also, if you are looking for something off the beaten track to give up for Lent, Lifeteen has some interesting suggestions (although some are what to do rather than what to give up....):

Are you looking for something unconventional to offer up for Lent? We asked Life Teen missionaries and our friends on Facebook for cool stuff they’ve done in the past. This is what they shared:

  1. “This year I’m giving up shoes as often as possible. I’ll still wear shoes if I’m doing a work project or if I have to fly on a plane. But I’m going to avoid going to places that require shoes.” – Paul, a Life Teen Missionary
  2. “I’m addicted to caffeine so I gave up all drinks but water for Lent two years ago.” – Amanda
  3. “Last year I didn’t give up anything for Lent, just added more prayer life. This year I am going to add more prayer life and give up Facebook.” – Josephina
  4. “I gave up spoons and forks. I learned to use chopsticks. It was funny for my friends and made it easy to talk about Lent in a way that people were cool with. We laughed a lot.” – Matt
  5. “I’ve heard of people giving up their beds for Lent. They slept on the floor or the couch.” – Anna
  6. “I fasted for all of Lent one year. 1 meal a day really brings souls to Jesus, especially your own!” – Erika
  7. “I’m going to treat my body as a temple of God during lent… everything I read, watch, listen to, eat, drink, do, say, etc…..focusing on being a temple of God.” – Paul
  8. “One year for Lent I wrote a letter each day. I made a list of 40 people who have touched my life in one way or another. Each day of Lent, I wrote a person on the list a letter of thanks for how they touched my life and I prayed for that person on that day….it was a WONDERFUL experience!!!” – Patty

There is a lot more to get you thinking at their link.